Thursday, April 16, 2015

Finally mastering the Drop Spindle!!!!





I absolutely LOVE my Kiwi spinning wheel, I love the feeling of pedaling and hearing the soft "whir" it omits when I spin, and feeling the fiber drafting from my fingers onto the flyer... and another thing I love about it, is how fast I can spin the yarn and ply it!

But sometimes, I'd rather spin in a way I can move around my home or I can take my fiber to a local coffee shop or at barnes and noble (as my husband is studying), but bringing my spinning wheel would be not only difficult but would look rather silly! So what is a girl to do?

 A drop spindle is such a simply little thing, isn't it? All it has is a hook attached to the shaft with a whorl! I can put into my purse wherever I go and when I feel like spinning, I just whip it out with the small amount of fiber and begin to spin! Even in our vehicle when we are driving long distance!

One thing I just could not master with the drop spindle was allowing it drop in the air while spinning and drafting at the same time! Each time I practiced, it would stop spinning, or begin to spin backwards, or the fiber would break completely!

But finally! After practicing more, I have now mastered not just standing while spinning on my drop spindle, but I can walk around the house while it is spinning!

When I finally got it right, I was so tense!!!! I was so excited that I was finally doing it, that I didn't want to break my rhythm by breathing! Ha ha!

After relaxing (a little), I asked my hubby to record me actually doing it! I look a bit tense (as I just finally mastered it) but please... rejoice with me... I did it!!!!!


Sorry for the bad hair and lack of makeup! It was a lazy day at home with the husband, and wanted him to quickly video tape it while I still had it! Ha Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment